Victorian Rail Tours
The idea for this Wiki arose from a project to digitise and organise a large slide collection, and the consequent need to identify key dates and events relating to Victorian rail enthusiast tours.
Other than the Rail Tourist Association (http://www.railtourist.com.au/index.php/past-tours), rail tours run by rail enthusiast organisations over the years are poorly documented. This Wiki is an attempt to rectify this situation and will hopefully provide a useful resource in identifying photos.
Acknowledgement is extended to Roderick Smith, who has compiled a list of tours extending from 1938 to 1993, on which this Wiki was initially based. Roderick’s research was assisted by Graeme Cleak and Keith Kings. Further information has been provided by Andrew Cook and William Jackson.
Guidelines for use
The VR Tours database is set up using the same system as the more well-known Wikipedia, so you should find that the interface is quite familiar.
Anyone can read the Wiki, but to edit you will need to request the Administrator to set up an account for you in order to limit anonymous editing and spammers. (Your details will not be used for any purpose other than administration of the database itself.) Experience so far has indicated that most contributors already prefer to contact the Administrator to set up an account, or to simply contribute a small piece of information, so it is not expected that this change of policy (Feb. 2018) will cause any problems. Feel free to use the Rail Tourist Association's contact page for this purpose.
I would like this to become a useful and accurate resource for sharing information in relation to VR enthusiast tours, for the purposes of research and photo identification. Registered users – please edit responsibly, otherwise we will have to revert to a model where editing is carried out by administrators only.
If you are submitting information, please observe the following guidelines:
1. Please limit your edits to factual information (motive power, consists, etc.) rather than opinions or anecdotes – we have Facebook for all that!
2. If you are not 100% sure of any information, please do not submit it to the database. However, you can create a Discussion page attached to any tour and add information there.
3. Please do not overload the database with trivial or excessive details, especially times.
4. The database extends to 1993 – the limit of the original compilation – at the time of writing. Some more information has been forthcoming since this Wiki was first set up, but it seems that more recent tours may not be so well documented. Feel free to add more recent information if you wish.
5. If you would like to become a registered user, or if you simply wish to contribute snippets of information, comments or suggestions, please email the Administrator, Frank Jones, through the contact form on the RTA main page.
- 22/8/2017: Added Andrew Cook information up to 1957.
- 16/9/2017: Added Andrew Cook information up to 1962.
- Nov. 2017 – Jun. 2020: Contributions by William Jackson, including greatly expanded coverage of private charters.
- 28/12/17: Updated 1980 RTA tours from RTA 1980 annual report.
- Jan. 2018 (ongoing): Additions and corrections from Roderick Smith.
- 9/2/18: Changed registration policy to deny access to spammers.
- Feb. 2018 (ongoing): Contributions from the diary of Andrew Hinde.
- Aug.-Sep.2018: Added Andrew Cook information up to 1967.